15 Famous People From New Jersey
New Jersey is famous for a lot of things. The Jersey Shore. Atlantic City. Saltwater taffy. The New Jersey Devils. And, of course, there are a lot of famous people from New Jersey. Take a look at this list of famous people who were all born in the Garden State.
- Bud Abbott: Born in Asbury Park, Bud Abbott was a famous vaudeville performer and comedian during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. You can’t talk about Bud Abbott without talking about his partner, Lou Costello – who was also from New Jersey.
- Lou Costello: Lou Costello was from Paterson and paired up with Bud Abbott in 1935 to form the famous pair of Abbott and Costello. Who can forget their most famous sketch, “Who’s on First?”
- Mitch Albom: Author, screenwriter, journalist, and broadcaster, Mitch Albom hails from Passaic. He rose to fame with his novel, “Tuesdays with Morrie,” which was soon followed by “The Five People You Meet in Heaven.”
- Jason Alexander: Did you know that the actor famous for playing George Costanza is from Newark? Well, he is. And, while his most famous role is probably from his time on “Seinfeld,” he has starred in movies, on Broadway, and in numerous commercials, too.
- David Copperfield: He may be the world’s most famous magician, and he’s from Metuchen, New Jersey. Do you remember when he made the Statue of Liberty disappear?
- Danny DeVito: Danny DeVito has had an amazing career as an actor on television and in movies and theater. His role as Louie De Palma on Taxi is considered the acting job that catapulted him to fame. Danny was born in Neptune Township.
- Halsey: Born Ashley Nicolette Frangipane and now known as Halsey, this pop singer is from Edison, New Jersey. Halsey has spent much of 2019 on tour sharing her music across the country.
- Jane Krakowski: This singer-actress was born in Parsippany-Troy Hills and is famous for her time on 30 Rock with Tina Fey. Jane has been nominated for many awards for her work on television and in theater and has won several, including a Tony.
- Queen Latifah: Queen Latifah does it all. Rapper, singer, actress, and producer, she comes from Newark, New Jersey. She is considered to be hip-hop’s first female pioneer, and she won a Grammy for her work.
- Shaquille O’Neal: He’s 7 ‘1”, weighs 325 pounds, and wears a size 22 shoe – and he’s also from New Jersey. Born in Newark, Shaquille O’Neal spent 19 years in the NBA and won four NBA championships.
- Kelly Ripa: She may be the most famous person born in Berlin, New Jersey, and while she got her start on soap operas, Kelly Ripa is now the co-host of her own talk show. She started her talk show career with Regis Philbin and currently hosts with Ryan Seacrest.
- Meryl Streep: Perhaps the greatest actress to ever come from New Jersey, Meryl Streep was born in Summit. She has won three Academy Awards and 8 Golden Globes and continues to be a powerhouse on the big screen.
- John Travolta: Saturday Night Fever and Grease would not be the same without John Travolta. John was born in Englewood, New Jersey and continues to have an outstanding film career. He currently has two films that are in post-production and should be released soon.
- Mike Trout: This centerfielder was born in Vineland and has made his way to the opposite coast where he plays for the Los Angeles Angels. He’s a two-time MVP winner and continues to be a popular player in Major League baseball. He recently signed a 12 year, 426 million dollar contract.
- Dionne Warwick: Dionne has a gorgeous voice and has had 56 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 during her career. Dionne was born in Orange, New Jersey and continues to perform today.
Did you know that all of these people were born in New Jersey? Who else do you know that could make the list? Share a few of your favorite New Jersey celebrities!